Chronology of Important Events
1679 Mahlon Stacy settles at the Falls of the Delaware and builds a grist mill.
1684 Chesterfield Monthly Meeting, Society of Friends, formed.
1703 April 20. Deed given for property, Hopewell Episcopal Church (Breese farm), of which St. Michael's Church is the successor.
1704 April 3. Death of Mahlon Stacy.
1714 Hunterdon County created.
1714 August 16 and 17. Mahlon Stacy, Jr., sells 800 acres to William Trent.
1719 Bloomsbury Court built by William Trent.
1719 Hunterdon County Court House erected; first public building in Trenton.
1719 The name of Trenton first comes into general use about this time.
1719 Township of Trenton formed.
1719 March. County courts held at Trenton for the first time.
1724 December 25. Death of William Trent, at Bloomsbury Court.
1726 First Presbyterian Church built.
1732 September. First stage line runs from Trenton to Philadelphia.
1739 November. Friends' Meeting House on Hanover Street completed.
1745 First steel mill in New Jersey operated by Benjamin Yard.
1746 September 6. Trenton becomes a borough under the Crown.
1747 February 8. Union Fire Company organized.
1747-48 St. Michael's Church erected.
1750 Trenton Library Company established by gift of Dr. Thomas Cadwalader.
1750 April 7. Royal charter surrendered to the Crown.
1753 First common school erected on present site of First Presbyterian Church.
1758-59 Old Barracks erected.
1773 First Methodist Church building erected, corner of Broad and Academy Streets.
1775 May 23. First Provincial Congress of the Colony of New Jersey assembles in Trenton.
1776 July 2. Provincial Congress of New Jersey, meeting at Burlington, proclaims Colony's independence of Great Britain and adopts constitution.
1776 July 8. Declaration of Independence and Constitution of New Jersey read from steps of Court House.
1776 December 12-14. British and Hessian troops occupy Trenton.
1776 December 25. Washington and his troops cross the Delaware.
1776 December 26. Battle of Trenton and defeat of the Hessians.
1777 January 2. Second Battle of Trenton; Washington withdraws to Princeton.
1778 March. Isaac Collins establishes first printing press in Trenton.
1782 Trenton Academy opened.
1784 November 1 - December 24. Continental Congress meets in French Arms Tavern.
1784 December 10 - 13. Lafayette in Trenton. Takes leave of Continental Congress, December 11.
1786 July 27. John Fitch operates first boat to be propelled by steam on the Delaware.
1787 July 4. Trenton Lodge No. 5, of the Masonic Order, granted dispensation.
1789 April 21. Washington's reception by the people of Trenton.
1790 November 25. Trenton becomes capital of New Jersey.
1792 September 4. State Gazette first published.
1792 November 13. Trenton incorporated as a city.
1793 Original State House first used by Legislature.
1793 August 26. Cornerstone of first Masonic Temple laid.
1799 August 26 - November. Public offices of the United States removed to Trenton.
1801 March 10. True American first issued.
1803 November 26. First Baptist meeting house opened for worship.
1804 Trenton Banking Company organized.
1804 February 29. Trenton Water Works incorporated.
1806 January 3o. First bridge over the Delaware opened for travel.
1814 June 12. First Roman Catholic Church, "Chapel of St. John the Baptist," dedicated.
1824 September 25 - 27. Lafayette's second visit to Trenton.
1829 First public schools organized and opened.
1834 Delaware and Raritan Canal between Trenton and New Brunswick completed.
1837 Horse cars first run from Hanover Street Railroad .Station to Morrisville, connecting with trains to Philadelphia.
1837 Old City Hall, northeast corner of State and Broad Streets, built.
1837 Trenton township incorporated with city of Trenton.
1837 April 1. New city charter adopted.
1838 Camden and Amboy railroad station built at East State Street and the canal.
1838 February 22. Mercer County created; Trenton selected as County seat.
1839 Mercer County Court House erected.
1839 January 1. Camden and Amboy line between New York and Philadelphia opened.
1847 Trenton Iron Works incorporated.
1848 John A. Roebling erects a mill for the manufacture of wire rope.
1849 First Lutheran Church organized (German Evangelical Lutheran Trinity).
1851 Borough of South Trenton, consisting of Mill Hill and Bloomsbury, annexed to Trenton.
1852 Taylor and Speeler's pottery established.
1856 Lamberton annexed to Trenton.
1856 Young Men's Christian Association organized.
1859 March 9. Trenton Horse Railroad Company incorporated.
1860 Calhoun Street Bridge opened for travel.
1860 First Jewish Synagogue organized.
1867 March 18. Taylor Opera House opened.
1874 May 31. St. Francis', Trenton's first hospital, dedicated.
1874 October. First high school building on Mercer Street opened.
1876 Postoffice building, at State and Montgomery Streets, completed.
1882 Trenton Times established.
1883 Sunday Advertiser first issued.
1884 June 25. Calhoun Street Bridge destroyed by fire.
1888 Cadwalader Park acquired.
1888 March 30. Borough of Chambersburg and township of Millham annexed to Trenton.
1888 July. Inter-State Fair Association organized.
1891 December 26. Cornerstone of Trenton Battle Monument laid.
1892 May 22. First electric railway in Trenton.
1893 October 19. Trenton Battle Monument dedicated.
1898 February 28. Borough of Wilbur annexed to Trenton.
1899 September 20. New city reservoir opened.
1900 Part of Hamilton township annexed to Trenton.
1900 March 23. Portion of Ewing township annexed to Trenton.
1901 April 8. New High school building at Hamilton and Chestnut Avenues dedicated.
1901 December 26. Woodrow Wilson speaks at the 125th Anniversary Celebration of the Battles of Trenton.
1902 Old Barracks Association formed.
1902 May 14. Cornerstone of new Court House laid.
1902 June 9. Free Public Library dedicated.
1903 State armory built.
1903 Young Women's Christian Association organized.
1910 November. New City Hall opened for official use.
1911 Municipal Colony established.
1911 March. School of Industrial Arts occupies new building at State and Willow Streets.
1911 June 20. Commission government adopted. Five commissioners elected, August 15, 1911.
1914 Filtration plant placed in operation.
1916 October. Junior High School No. 1 opened.
1917 March 28. First Trenton troops, Second Regiment, National Guard, mobilized for World War.
1919 March 29. Trenton Historical Society organized.
1919 May 11. Municipal wharf and warehouses dedicated.
1921 Portion of Hamilton township annexed; site of sewage disposal plant.
1921 September 21. Stacy-Trent Hotel formally opened.
1924 Junior High School No. 3 opened.
1926 Junior High School No. 4 opened.
1926 October 9. Cornerstone of New Masonic Temple, South Willow Street, laid.
1926 December 29. President Calvin Coolidge makes address at dinner of the Trenton Historical Society in celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Battles of Trenton.
© 1929, TRENTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY